Youth Advocate, Wraparound
Family and Youth Partnership
Youth Advocates are people with personal experience participating in the system of care as a consumer and have the skills, training and experience to perform the functions of their role. Youth Advocates (YA) have four key functions: (1) to make youth equal partners -if not leaders- in the development and implementation of their service plans; (2) to represent the needs and perspectives of youth to internal and external stakeholders and decision makers within the system of care; (3) to ensure that youth have access to a comprehensive array of prevention and support services that meet their individual needs; and (4) to ensure that these services are family-centered, easily accessible, respectful of cultural, ethnic and other community characteristics, and stigma free. Youth Advocates perform these functions through the tasks, roles, and responsibilities described below. Supports the Mission, Vision, and Values of Stanford Youth Solutions + Sierra Forever Families.
- Experience as a youth with a serious emotional disturbance receiving, or having previously received, services within the public systems, including: mental health, child welfare, or juvenile justice.
- Basic knowledge of Public Mental Health/Child Welfare/Education systems, and the ability to advocate on the behalf of clients in navigating and negotiating those systems
- Previous experience with advocacy, outreach, and community resources preferred
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work flexible working hours, including evenings and some weekends
- Ability to work independently/self-motivated
- Sensitive to multicultural issues
- Adhere to all confidentiality requirements
- Verbal and written ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, community partners, consumers and all levels of management
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects and assignments effectively
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment within department and agency wide
- Ability to work in a mobile, fast paced environment.
- Ability to use a laptop computer
- Fulfillment of TB test, background check clearance, and any other mandatory Federal/State/County and agency requirements
- Valid California driver’s license, proof of current automobile insurance, driving record acceptable to the agency’s insurance carrier
- Must provide and operate a registered, properly insured automobile.
Hiring Range: $16.00 – $18.80 hourly
To apply, please fill out our online Employment Application.